Sunday, March 8, 2009

Community Spot Light

Today I am going to start a blog about my hometown, DeFuniak Springs, Florida. How many of you have been on vacation and been asked by someone “Where are you from?” If you live where I do, you more than likely get a “dumbfounded” look when you say DeFuniak Springs, Florida. Then of course you have to explain where DeFuniak is and it is always surprising to me that everyone knows where Pensacola, Panama City, Destin and sometimes even Crestview are located, but they have never heard of DeFuniak Springs. I really don’t understand this when our town was founded in the late 1800’s and is one of the oldest towns in Florida. We host the “The Chautauqua Assembly” every year, we have one of the only two perfectly round lakes in the world, and we have the most fabulous display of Christmas lights every year. Why we were even the home of Florida’s 22nd Governor, Sidney Johnston Catts. So I really want to know, why don’t people know where DeFuniak Springs is located? So over the next few months, I have decided that I am going to “Spot light” my community and local area business. I wonder how many people live in our community who really don’t know what we have to offer? I for one know that there are several businesses that our located right here in our little town that I have never visited. So, I have made a goal to myself to visit at least one business in my community a month and spotlight them on this blog.

So here we go……
This week I will be spot lighting “Bass Style Shop”
Bass Style Shop is located In the Historical Downtown District of DeFuniak Springs at 858 Baldwin Avenue and you can contact them at (850) 892-0540.


Bass Style Shop also hosts a collection of "Barber" memorabilia from over the years. Below are a few images I snapped while visiting with Connie , Al and Wendy.



So I have told you where you can find Bass Style Shop, now I will tell you about the people who work there and help to keep the people in our community looking so stylish!

First up we have have Connie Strickland who is the owner and head stylist at Bass Style Shop. Connie is one of the sweetest people I know and she is always happy and smiling! It is always a pleasure to have Connie style my hair and she never complains that it takes her over an hour to wash, cut, dry and flat iron my hair! Did I mention that I have enough hair for two people?



Connie is an expert stylist who can wash, set, style, color and perm your hair. She also provides services for "Up Dos" for proms, weddings, pageants and any other special occasion you may have.

Did I mention how wonderful it feels when Connie is washing your hair? That's why her client is smiling in the picture below!









Bass Style Shop also sales numerous products to help us keep our hair looking salon fresh!




Next up we have Al Suforna! My little boy loves Al and will not allow anyone else to cut his hair! He and Al have been friends for the last four years and I honestly don't know what we would do if Al ever retires. You see, my son Hunter had a few "not so great" haircuts before Al came to work at Bass Style Shop and he doesn't believe that "a girl" can cut his hair. Connie has tried to talk him into letting her cut his hair and he very firmly tells her "girls can't cut boys hair, they will mess it up." Now I can't tell you why he thinks this way, all I know is that when he feels it is time for a haircut, he tells me "Mom, it's time to go see Mr. Al. My hair is touching my eyebrows." So if you have a little boy like mine, go see Al. He is great with kids of all ages.

One of the great things about Al is, he always knows what Hunter wants. We never have to explain anything and Al always does a great job. I'm sure it helps that Hunter never changes his hairstyle. Boys are so different in that regard to girls. My daughter changes her hairstyle every week.


Al is a Barber and can give you a great haircut or shave and he also has some really cool memorabilia. In the below picture you will see that way back when, you could get a shave and haircut for 25 cent. He is also the first person you see when you walk in the door and always has a ready smile and a little conversation for everyone and he still has an official "barber pole".If you visit Bass on a Saturday morning, as we usually do, it is not unusual to find many men from the community sitting in the chairs waiting their turn with Al and there is never a lack of conversation. I have been privileged to hear all the latest gardening news, political news and even up dates in health care. Go visit AL one Saturday morning and you will come away with a great haircut and maybe a little more knowledge on who knows what subject or you can start your own subject.


Al has also been known to give very good little children a quarter for the bubble gum machine.



Next up we have Wendy Alumbaugh who is the newest addition at Bass Style Shop. Wendy is a stylist and can wash, cut, color, perm or style your hair. Wendy is very friendly and has a very welcoming smile. Wendy says she is happy to be at Bass and meeting new people everyday and Connie is happy to have the additional help. Go see Wendy and make her feel welcome.









I hope you have enjoyed the "Spot Light" on Bass Style Shop and continue to come back each week to learn more about our wonderful community and our local businesses. If you are a local area business and would like to be featured in my "Spot Light", give me a call.

Until next time....
GOD BLESS
Tina

No comments:

 
TopOfBlogs Add to Technorati Favorites